7930 Sonoma Mountain Rd. Glen Ellen, CA
| Bedrooms: 3
| Bathrooms: 3.5
| Lot Size: 9.62 acres
LOVINGLY RESTORED HISTORIC HOME
MAGICAL CREEKSIDE SETTING ON PRIVATE ROAD ADJACENT TO JACK LONDON STATE PARK
Named “Home of My Heart” by the owner’s granddaughter, this respectfully restored 1895 farmhouse is just that, a multi-generational legacy property and compound shaped by years of laughter, love and celebration. Designed specifically to be a home where memories are made. Perfect for family, friends and entertaining in the heart of Sonoma Valley.
A serene and private estate neighboring Jack London State Park, this property has been lovingly stewarded and artfully landscaped to preserve the natural wonder and rare beauty of the land. With a private source of spring water and ancient redwood fairy rings, the unique creekside parcel is truly magical.
Restored in the spirit and period of the original home, the renovations were all conceived and executed to preserve a sense of time and space while taking full advantage of the natural beauty of this unique property. The lodge-like setting has a stately and welcoming ambiance. With 3 bedrooms/3.5 baths, this home is ideally suited for entertaining and family gatherings.
A large, European-style kitchen with historic hearth and Thermador range is the centerpiece of the main dining area and great room. A grand stone fireplace, sitting area, French doors to the back deck and an open dining area make this a natural and relaxing gathering space. An homage to the classic manor house in style, the kitchen enjoys every modern amenity while maintaining the spirit of gracious country living.
Adjacent to the kitchen/dining area is a wood-paneled library with secret door and hidden bathroom. The playful mystery and nod to days gone by make this room a favorite with children and romantics alike.
The formal living area, brightened by a wall of French doors with views to the covered porch and central lawn beyond, is an elegant sitting room warmed by a stately fireplace, making it a great space for entertaining year-round.
Also on the main floor is the large master suite. Once a covered sleeping porch, this corner apartment is paneled in reclaimed wood siding and renovated to preserve its original prime location with views of rolling foothills and the verdant treetops beyond. Enjoy the ambiance of barely tamed nature from the built-in window seat or the sunlit corner of windows with original wood casings. The master bath is elegant and spacious. With natural stone, abundant light, stand-alone claw foot tub and custom cabinetry, this spa-like setting is a delightful experience.
Upstairs the pitched ceilings become an artistic focal point. Designed with cedar paneling, visually interesting angles, and multiple picture windows, the large common bedroom/sleeping area is a luxurious rendition of the classic lodge bedroom. Additional space, currently used as an office, could easily become another bedroom. Well-designed storage closets for seasonal or archival items are ideal for organization. A sunny upstairs bath is bright and cheerful.
Beyond the main house there are numerous gathering areas for entertaining. Including the covered wrap-around porch, a back deck overlooking the native forest and pond, a gazebo with outdoor kitchen, and a 200-person amphitheater with stage. Landscaped paths meander through the woods, one of which leads to a campfire circle where many marshmallows have been roasted. Perhaps best of all is the heart of the large redwood fairy circle visible from the back deck. There, in the middle of the third generation redwood circle, where the mother tree once stood, is a truly enchanting sitting area.
A swimming pool with flagstone patio is surrounded by velvet lawns and graceful willow trees. The outdoor pool gazebo make it ideal for outdoor dining and many hours of play or relaxation.
The property has two additional cottages – a one-bedroom/one-bath guesthouse with kitchenette adjacent to the main house, and a large, two-bedroom/two-bath cottage with private entrance and flagstone patio. An auxiliary building with four units includes an office with half-bath, a study/living area with full bath, a workshop and a gym.
With gardens throughout the property, the masterpiece is a greenhouse and raised garden beds with vegetable and flower gardens cultivated and tended year round. A small, hobby vineyard of Syrah grapes sits at the top of the drive. Extensive landscaping to the wooded grounds creates a delicately tamed scenery that accommodates gracious country living while maintaining its natural beauty.
Ideally situated at the end of a private road, with Jack London State Park as your protected and pristine neighbor, this home is a paragon of Sonoma Valley lore. A living example of the early days in the Valley of the Moon, where nature had a gentle face but remained wild and free. Properties like this rarely come along, and it is waiting for the right owners; owners who will treasure the rare beauty and sacred trust of owning land that is borrowed from the past and intended to be there for generations to come.
- 9.62 +/- acres of creekside forestland on private road
- Heritage oaks and third generation redwood circles
- Private spring water
- Adjacent to Jack London State Park
- Lodge-like family retreat with two additional cottages and outbuildings
- Landscaped gardens, forest pathways, pond, greenhouse, raised gardens, orchards
- Outdoor amphitheater with seating for 200
- Lovingly renovated 3 bedroom/3.5 bath 1895 farmhouse
- Grand kitchen, dining, sitting area with stone fireplace and forest views
- European-style manor kitchen with hearth and Thermador range
- Spacious cooking area with custom cabinetry, extensive storage and center island
- Wood-paneled library with secret wall and hidden bathroom beyond
- Formal living area with fireplace and wall of French doors to covered porch
- Large corner master suite on main floor with spacious master bath
- Second floor attic bedrooms. Spacious, with large picture windows. Pitched Cedar ceilings. Shared bath.
- Mudroom with storage, laundry and half bath
- One bedroom guest house with kitchenette
- Two bedroom cottage with full kitchen, 2 baths, private entrance and covered flagstone patio
- Auxiliary building with four units, 1.5 baths
- Pool with flagstone patio
- Covered gazebo with outdoor kitchen
- Small vineyard of Syrah grapes
- Approximately one hour from San Francisco and 20 minutes from the historic town of Sonoma.